Nineteenth-century ideas of the best educational environment included high ceilings, large classrooms and an abundance of light and fresh air. Victor Earl Mark and Leroy Sheftall, students of Henry J. Klutho, adhered to this theory in their design of the South Jacksonville Grammar School in 1916. Eventually, the building was put to administrative use by the Duval County School Board, which sold it in 2001 to siblings Barbara Cesery and Bill Cesery, renowned Jacksonville developers with a vision to create one of the city's first examples of the live/work concept. The structure has been accepted for a listing on the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its educational and architectural significance.